Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Brewpubs and Shalee Lehning

April 15, 2005 is a great day in world history. One that will be remembered fondly. But it became special because of events before and after that day.

At my church in Clay Center, I was the only person my age. Everyone else had already raised or were raising children. Nobody single and unattached. So my priest sent me into Manhattan where a 20/30-something group was forming, to give people like me others like me to spend time with.

One event was a white elephant party. I remember getting my gift swiped about three times, and I also remember a Ricky Martin jigsaw puzzle. I didn't remember the gal shaking the puzzle, practically begging to give it away. Later that spring, we colored Easter eggs in the basement of the church in Manhattan. The same gal that had the jigsaw puzzle was there that evening, as well. She knew I covered high school sports and asked me about Shalee Lehning, a K-State women's basketball signee. I had the privilege of seeing her play volleyball and hoops, and I said that Shalee would look great in purple, and that a good decision had been made (a real treat to watch her play at KSU, btw).

I don't remember how long after, but I shot an e-mail to this person, asking her to meet me for a beer at Little Apple Brewery, a favorite place of mine. I thought it'd be safe-- if she wants to, she'll say so, and if not, she'll not reply and the game goes on as before. She accepted, and we set a date for a Friday night. I had softball games to cover that night that ran into extra innings, but I did make it in time for a Wildcat Wheat or three. I remember hearing her tell stories of the things she'd done and the places I'd been and thinking I had no chance. But she invited me to her place for dinner the next evening. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, after all.

The Friday night was April 15, 2005. And the rest has become a happy history of Ann's and my life together. She understood this thing way before I did, and was very patient while I figured out what was going on.

So April 15 has become a red-letter day that we celebrate as much as our anniversary of June 27. Well, I don't know that actually, because we've not celebrated an anniversary yet. I just know that LABCO became our favorite hangout (though the smoking ban put in effect helped wth that), and the church basement in which we colored eggs was the same church basement in which I waited for our wedding to begin.

Great times then and now. Hopefully more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment