Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Podcasts

I'm taking an intro to accounting class at the University of Alabama, Tuesdays and Thursdays. 9:30 and 12:30. I'm enrolled in one class but not the other. I started the spring semester taking two classes and working two jobs, which left very little time to spend on schoolwork or with my wife. The first casualty was Calculus I, nearly two months ago.

So there became a void, which I filled by finding an accounting class to sit in on, hoping to pick things up a little faster. And it was on the way to this class that I heard a Writer's Almanac podcast by Garrison Keillor (yes, *that* Garrison Keillor). He briefly discussed a writer, Donald Barthelme, who said to write what you're afraid of.

I've not been able to find anything that could expand on the meaning behind that phrase, but I did find meaning in it.

Because while I feel I've carved out a bit of a niche for myself in Alabama and have more of a sense of stability these days (in contrast to the months following our move to Tuscaloosa), I still look around and wonder what direction to choose. Accounting doesn't feel like it. I've picked up a little work doing high school hoops and baseball for some folks around here, but I've been ready to make broadcasting a second option for a while now.

So I'm searching for something. I don't really know what to look for or where I'll find it. I just know I'm trying to get out there and learn things and meet people and see what happens. Maybe that's what frightens me. The unknown. Fear of what I could find. Fear of how I perceive myself and how I blend into the world, and how that perception hinders my progress.

I don't really know if any of this makes sense, as it's more of a spontaneous post today, but these are the things I think on-- it's how I feel and where I'm at right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment