Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Monday, October 10, 2011

40

I turned forty years old on Thursday of last week. The days of getting excited about birthdays are long gone, since the day feels pretty much like any other. Still have things to do and places to be, and not much time to concentrate on what’s happening.

I had the day shift at the running store, so it helped to be around people and to make the time go by. I stopped by the grocery that morning to pick up treats for my coworkers. It was the custom at KCLY, Clay Center, but apparently not here in the Deep South. Nobody seemed to understand that if it’s your birthday, you bring treats. I did manage to leave out the part of how I still don’t bring any baked goods for treats. I got some (and ate some, mind you) shortbread cookies with orange sprinkles on top and chocolate frosting on the bottom. Yummy.

Ann and I went to one of our favorite fine dining places that evening, and it was a special meal. We started with an appetizer of lobster rolls, and I had some pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and polenta. I can’t do the plating justice, but suffice it to say they would’ve scored the full point total on Iron Chef America. New York-style cheesecake topped off the meal, which was magnificent from start to finish.

Even with the weekend in the rear-view mirror, I’ve not been too reflective of the birthday thing, mainly for reasons already stated. I’ve been blessed with extraordinary health and honestly don’t feel any different now than I did 10-15 years ago. I’m the same guy who was knocking around when I was nine and thinking that being 40 seemed like a long way off.

But I’m roughly at the halfway mark of my time on earth, and I'm at the point where I don't need stuff anymore-- I need relationships and good times, and I've got both. I suppose it’s natural as you age to think about dying some, and I’m no different. I do realize how I’m a whole lot closer now than I was when I was nine. Don’t misunderstand my curiosity for being in a hurry, but sometimes I wonder what’s out there. Ann and I have some great friends and we have so much fun with them and when it’s just the two of us. I listen to great music that touches my soul. And I just wonder if all that will be waiting when I get to the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment