Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Carson's Comedy Classics

I've been a longtime fan of Johnny Carson's comedy sketches-- not so much from watching them in real time, but from the 30-minute programs my brother and I would watch on late-night TV, many of which are accessible via youtube. Floyd R. Turbo, Carnac the Magnificent, and Aunt Blabby were always favorites.

Very high on that list is also the Tea Time Movie with your friend, and his, lovable Art Fern. I won't bore you with the premise, but he'd always talk about directions to a sponsor's location by taking the Slauson Cutoff and cutting off your slauson and turning left until you come to...


This particular fork in the road is at Camp McDowell, where the First Lady and I spent this past weekend at church retreat. We love the people with whom we worship every Sunday, and many of them were there for at least some of the time. There was some 'church' stuff going on, but this annual retreat, our third, is a chance to meet people and get to know everyone better. It was a success on both counts.

Camp adjourned after lunch Sunday, at which time we drove back to Tuscaloosa. I had to haul pizzas as a deliveryman the last two seasons (and replace a car battery a year ago), so I was very happy to get home this year in time for a Sunday nap knowing I didn't have to work soon afterward. This gave the First Lady and me the chance to watch the Super Bowl with our trivia friends. Since the Kansas City Chiefs were not part of things (and they seem to wipe out earlier and earlier each year), we were all about the party.

We enjoyed the game and the 17 prop bets that were a part of the evening, such as halftime point margin, which side wins the coin toss, etc. Winner got first pick of six exotic flavored sodas. It was great fun. After scoring five points, I took fifth and chose a non-alcoholic sangria. Good food and good people. And for the record, I think the halftime show sucked.

This weekend reminded me of how privileged I am to be surrounded by so many nice, fun, and wonderful people. Even moreso, they don't seem to mind me hanging around.

No comments:

Post a Comment