Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Big Bang Theory and Vanity Cards

The wife and I have become big fans of The Big Bang Theory. We watch it weeknights in between Jeopardy episodes, and are never disappointed. It's a terrific show that makes us laugh constantly. Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, Raj, and Penny all have their quirks, and Amy, Stuart the comic book guy, and others all add to the mosaic to what is 22 minutes of great TV programming.

Another thing I like is show co-creator Chuck Lorre's Vanity Cards at the end of each episode. Typically the card flashes up there long enough for me to see the number and maybe a thought or two. It's not possible (unless you pause the DVR) to see the entire message, so I look online to see what the man has to say, because I find myself looking forward to reading his stuff-- it makes me think a little, and it gives insight into a man that I wouldn't understand by seeing scripts interpreted by others.

As this post goes to press there are 431 vanity cards, and they include his other shows, such as Dharma & Greg, Two and a Half Men and Mike and Molly. I obviously won't share everything, but here are a few snippets that get my mind to working.

"It's safe to talk openly and honestly with people because they're not really listening." (#331)

I don't know how accurate the 'openly and honestly' part is, mainly because it frightens me. However, I am reasonably sure we don't really listen to each other. It seems as though any pause in a conversation is someone else's chance to jump in with what they have to say. That the first person isn't done talking is irrelevant. Do we really pay attention?

Many of his cards are parables. Others are good stories (#321).

Some are too long to share here, but are riotously funny. Google Chuck Lorre #329 and then try to tell me otherwise.

But the first one I remember seeing (I remember because I saved it to my favorites) is #196:

my soul's journey
To let go of the fear and anger which imprisons my heart,
To relinquish all childish expectations and live joyfully in the world as it is --
      not as I wish or imagine it to be,
To be free of the always craven and ever-craving ego,
To be released from the endless hungers of the body,
To see God in others,
To see God in everything,
To die without death and merge my consciousness into the
      cosmic sea of bliss from which I came,
To crank out two sitcoms a week that can compete
      with a deaf chick dancing her ass off...
This is my soul's journey.

I get a lot of insight from things like this. I can see a part of his soul and also a sense of humor and realism that has helped him crank out so many sitcoms over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment