Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And Now, For the Weather...

The weather is a topic most people feel comfortable talking about, in the normal context of banter. "Boy, it sure is nice out here," is a common refrain. Rain, cold, wind, what have you. Even if it's what we *don't* have, we can find a way to work it in. When the wife and I moved to town last year, the rain seemed to pour down every Thursday or Friday. I remember, because I went out to help cover high school football last season, our first as Alabamians. If you didn't know what day it was, you could tell it was toward the end of the work week, because of the heavy rain that always seemed to come down. That hasn't been the case this year, which is OK by me, but I'm told we need rain, since we've not had anywhere near as much this year as last. But it's still gorgeous outside these days. Alabama sure does get a bad rap for the nasty-hot summers, but the fall and spring seasons are really nice.

Weather and football take me back to some fun times as a broadcaster. I have a million stories about covering games and how the weather tied in, but for now, I'll try narrowing it down to a city at a time.

Dateline: Canyon, Texas. Home of the Buffalo Bowl, aka Kimbrough Memorial Stadium, home of the West Texas A&M football team, as well as Canyon ISD schools. The first memory is a cold one-- bi-district playoffs (first round), Randall vs. Frenship, circa 1997. I was the engineer for the FHS radio crew, working on a cold and snowy Friday night. So cold, in fact, that the scoreboard stopped working in the middle of the third quarter. It was still on, showing 3rd and 7 on the 26, home 21, guest 6, but nothing could make it budge. Game officials, of course, keep time on the field, so that's all we had. Score was easy enough, but trying to gauge the time to go was a challenge. It even started snowing again after halftime. I-27 runs just east of the stadium, and you could see the taillights of the snow plows going up and down as they did their thing. Randall wound up winning, as FHS couldn't really do much with the football.

A few years later, I was the voice of the Levelland Lobos, as I came to Kimbrough for LHS/Randall, September of maybe 1999. We got through our pregame show and are about ready to kick off, when the skies opened up and it started pouring. A delay followed, everyone circles around the TV, because the local TV stations were in full-bore severe weather coverage. Soon after, the decision came down to play Saturday. It wasn't about to stop raining, and the hope was that the field would be in better shape by the next day. So I packed up and got in the car and went home in a driving rainstorm. Turned out I was one of the last to get south on I-27 before they closed it down. It's truly a strange feeling to be a broadcaster and not have a game on Friday night, but that's what I had that evening. So I went back up to Canyon the next day, and I'm pretty sure our Lobos were on the short end.

When you're actually in, um, the eye of the storm, decisions are being made quickly, and a lot of changing of plans is done, so at the time, it may not seem too pleasant. But now, I have some fun stories (maybe only interesting to me) to tell, and some awesome memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment