Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Friday, October 8, 2010

The Pink Pagoda in Seoul

I've always been a fan of impressionists. I well remember when Rich Little or Fred Travalena would go on one of those cheesy 80's game shows, and I'd always laugh at their impersonation.

On one of my favorite episodes of M*A*S*H involves movie night in the mess tent, where the projector constantly breaks down. Klinger tries to fix it (in the dark) and a variety show breaks out. There's a Father Mulcahy sound-alike contest, some singing, and what not. And Major Houlihan, before her rendition of "c'est magnifique" is introduced by Hawkeye as, "the toast of two continents and the Pink Pagoda in Seoul." Classic TV, and I laugh every time.

Something else about that sequence is Radar doing an impersonation of Jack Benny. I'm not old enough to know much about his show, but I am a fan of keeping things like that alive, so I have a very limited knowledge through things like this. But Father Mulcahy played the piano and asked, "now, Mr. Benny?"

But Jack Benny's shtick was about always being 39 years old. It's relevant because I turned 39 this week, for the first (and hopefully not last) time. It was a day like any other day-- went to church for a men's group meeting and ran a seven-miler on campus (love the Alabama fall weather!). There are really several things I could say about being a year older, but I remember something my Uncle John said in 1994. He talked about being at an age where he knew he had lived longer than he was gonna live. Passed the halfway mark, so to speak.

That's about how I look at it right now. I'm halfway to 78, which, I guess, is in the neighborhood of the average lifespan of an American male. I guess I've accomplished a few things, and hope to achieve more in the years to come. It's starting to become pretty heavy stuff-- remembering when I was XX years old, thinking of the decisions I made, etc.

There are many more decisions to be made, and soon. Hope they're good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment