Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

50 years

December 30 is a very important day for me. For one, it's the day back in 2007 when I proposed to Ann and she accepted. Nothing really fancy about it-- we'd just come home from dinner in Clay Center. We got inside from a crisp, clear night and I just asked. No drama, no theatrics.

December 30 is also the day my parents were married. In 1961. So two days ago marked their fiftieth and golden wedding anniversary. I've only been around for 18 (and some change) of those 50 years, but I truly can't get my head around it. 50 years. Dad got some leave time from the Army and he and mom ran back to First Presbyterian Church in Mt. Gilead, Ohio to tie the knot. They didn't know where they'd wind up or how things would go.

But they're here. It's truly remarkable, given all the bumps and bruises along the way. I've been away from the family now for longer than I was at home (and it predates me by ten years), but I know the gist of the story. And that's the part I don't get. With the places they've been, things they've seen and what all has happened over the last half-century, mom and dad have put one foot in front of the other and have made it this far.

Happy anniversary, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment