Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolutions

So 2012 is here, and the old is once again replaced with the new. Spent the evening eating good food, talking, playing dominoes and watching fireworks and football. The rest of the crowd left about 11:15, but we stayed to see the new year in before going home. Ann and I love this crowd and look forward to every chance we get to spend time with them.

I don't recall it as a topic of conversation last night, but resolutions are always a hot topic this time of year. A few years ago, I decided to quit making resolutions, and it seems to be going pretty well. I understand why we make these choices, since a new year gives us a chance to start over.

But what I don't get is why wait til the calendar changes? Perhaps we make a change without all the fanfare and attention. It's definitely something I try to do. We don't really have time to wait to make ourselves better. My guess is that most of us set our minds to doing better all the time, just that the decisions don't get the publicity that comes with a New Year's resolution.

With all that being said, I've come to understand that I've accepted my limitations. that I can't do something because I've never done it before and I won't be any good at it. It's something that I'm learning through my marathon (Feb 12) training-- finding out what I'm capable of. Running faster and longer has taught me that I'm more able than I thought.

So I'm resolving to not accept these boundaries and test them whenever possible. And to do a little bit better of a job each day, whether it be at work or at home or in the other things I need to be doing.

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment