Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Mistaken Identity

As near as I can tell, I don't have a doppelganger. But I have been mistook for others here and there.

About six years ago I was working at the radio station and was wearing my sports guy hat. We carried the Kansas City Royals games, so a few of the players and broadcasters would hit the highways of the Sunflower State in February to do meet and greets, sign autographs and get folks excited about the upcoming season. It was my treat to rub elbows with people like Frank White and Jeremy Affeldt, Bob Davis, Ryan Lefebvre and the like.

It was during one of these events that I was mistaken for a Royals player. I'm sitting at the table doing my thing and a little seven-year old says he liked watching me play. My playing career ended at age 14, as I've documented, and I think the kid's father came by and explained things to him.

The second episode happened in church this morning. About the only things I share in common with my parish priest is that we are both middle-aged men, a few years apart in age, and that we both have significant facial hair. I have a goatee, while he has a full beard. But a five-year old walks by me this morning and says, "Hi Marc!"

I suddenly felt a huge burden. But this child is a source of Sunday church happiness, and we had some yuks because of the event.

Christmas for the First Lady and me has been a happy one. We attended the early service at the downtown church, since our friends also worship there, and they were kind enough to invite us to their house for supper afterwards. The service and the music were fantastic. I love going to church, but this service is truly a special event for me, and I was not disappointed. The meal and the company were also top shelf. These friends of ours have two munchkins, a 19-month old and a three-month old, so entertainment was provided. I helped put a train set together, so hopefully I'll hear about some serious Christmas-morning smiles.

We got home in time to sip a little bourbon and soak up some Christmas Eve vibe and head to bed. It wasn't too late of a night, since we were up early to deliver meals on wheels this morning and making it back to enjoy the Christmas morning service at our regular church. The numbers were understandably a little lower, but there was just as much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment