Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chigger Bites

Well, the weather has definitely turned for the better here in Alabama... It's the six weeks on either side of summer that nobody talks about-- humidity is what we're famous for. But for those six weeks, mornings are temperate and the sunshine positively glorious. Warm enough to wear shorts and flip flops, but not steaming hot.

This means it's now lawn and garden season. I'd spent some time raking leaves in the fall and winter, but it's now time to mow, trim the bushes and the greenery surrounding the house, and (try to) control the ant beds that pop up.

So far, I'm two for two. Two lawn days this spring, two hay fever/allergy attacks. The first was two weeks ago, midafternoon on a Sunday, when I raked some leaves in preparation of mowing. Two allergy pills didn't help much-- I kept on sneezing and blowing my nose. It turned into a pretty miserable evening. In addition, I picked up a ton of chigger bites which I am still scratching. Cortaid and nail polish were of no help. Benadryl, though, has seemed to slow things quite a bit. The redness remains, even if the itching and swelling have been greatly reduced.

The second attack was Thursday, which was mowing day. The actual work started about 9:00 and took about an hour, since I had to work at noon. I thought I did a better job of not rubbing my face, but the sneezing and runny nose picked up once again. I stopped for provisions at the drug store, allergy meds and tissue, but my work shift turned into eight eternal hours, since I was so congested, and so thick-headed due to two allergy pills that were no match. The Kleenex also stood no chance, as I went to the store for more later on.

I tried the drugs, food, M and M candy, and even a late-night potable. As it turned out, the only thing that worked, both times, was a good night's sleep and a chance for my body to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment