Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT

This is a quote on Carl Jung's tombstone, a quote I'm told he believed in very deeply. It means 'invoked or not invoked, God is present.'

Now I don't presume to understand the quote's deeper meaning, but this line came up in our Sunday School class. I really like this class, as does my wife. We don't really go into the Bible, or the lessons for the day-- we spend 45 minutes going over one or two questions in our Book of Common Prayer, and let things take us where they will. Today I learned about a black man in a church in 1866 Virginia, who went up to the communion rail and was alone, until a man came up and kneeled with him. Robert E. Lee was the second man. We enjoy the class, the people and our church very much.

I got a new (for me) ipod this past Wednesday, and I'm excited about the possibilities. I had a shuffle before, but I found it very temperamental. This new dude rocks. I can take my podcasts and my music along when I drive into Birmingham, or on my runs, which was helpful during yesterday's seven-miler. Started listening to one podcast, and liked it so much I switched to another one. And when it was done, I listened to five minutes of music. All right there on this little ipod.

I ran 17 miles last week, and 19 miles are scheduled for this week. My injured calf seems to be holding up well. I'm running 11:20 mile pace, which is much slower than what I'm used to, but these runs are getting me in shape.

GRE test preps continue-- test is April 2. I'm remembering why I had so much trouble in algebra in high school. Multiply by 1/x, etc.

And I got a job at the census bureau, which starts March 1. It's a temporary job, and I'll stop working at Domino's, but the census pay is better, and it's a day job. Delivering pizzas is OK, the people are nice and I'm starting to learn how to work there, but it's second-shift work, so I'm working 5-10 a lot of evenings. This takes me away from my wife, as well as from things we like doing. The question of 'what's on the other side of the census job' will be answered in due time.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment