Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The People's Republic of Boulder...

... is what Boulder, Colorado is affectionately known as. It refers to the free-spirited way of life the locals have, as though it's an 'island' within the rest of the state that's kind of it's own separate entity. Boulder is also where Ann and I took our first trip together, back in the summer of 2005. We really had a lot of fun and drank a lot of chocolate milk on Pearl Street, went to a Rockies game (against the Phillies, on a sunny Sunday), and even went to the Episcopal church there. We learned a lot about each other on that trip, too. The drive from Clay Center to Boulder is a great way to learn just how much of western Kansas there really is.

Another Pearl Street memory is the time we went to a Japanese restaurant and I decided to try sushi for the first time. It was a negative experience. Ann ate the rest of the sushi, and she then took me for a buffalo burger and more chocolate milk. The tie in is that we went for sushi Saturday night at a nice place here in Tuscaloosa, and I liked it better than the first time. I always have trouble handling chopsticks, so that was part of the fun.

The evening out was a good way to take our minds off of basketball. Yesterday was not a good hoops day. My Miners lost to Houston in the finals of the conference tournament, as did Kansas State. Bummed, yes. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. But I'm learning to not let these events define me or the rest of my day. After the UTEP game, I went and had a good five-mile outdoor run, and after the Cats game is when we went out for sushi. I call it under-reacting-- reacting the way you'd want to. Not flying off the handle and getting cross-eyed pissed off over a ball game. Embrace the joy, yes, but don't let these things run or even ruin your life.

I've started to feel this way in the last month or so, and I like who I'm becoming because of it. I still love my teams, but not getting all worked up and upset over a loss. Let's face it-- rooting for a team or teams is a recipe for trouble. Things very rarely end well, such as with a crushing loss, or if it's been a bad year, a series of them. Losing is a big part of being a fan, and it's something that we would all do well to adjust to, and it's something I'm happy to say I'm learning about.

So we're ready for selection Sunday, and to see where and who the Cats will play, and also where the Miners might go. They missed the automatic bid, but it's thought that they're in. I hope that's correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment