Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gubmint job

I started my new job as a clerk at the local census bureau Monday. 40 hours a week. A steady paycheck, at least for a while. I check the binders to make sure everything's in there that's supposed to be in there. I've met some interesting people so far, so the conversation has been good. There are some really smart people there, also. One guy is from Wichita Falls and has a double major in English and Spanish plus a law degree. A coworker was a high school English teacher before she got downsized for lack of tenure. One gentleman worked for the phone company for 36 years. Another just got his marketing degree at Alabama. So I'm learning my way around a new job for the second time in just over a month. But we're starting to catch up a little. I'm starting to think a lot in terms of flow charts now, though.

It also means I get nights and weekends back for the near future. Last night, Ann and I saw The Gondoliers by Gilbert and Sullivan at the UA theatre. The theatre itself is very small, reminiscent of the community theatre we left behind in Manhattan, but the students there worked their butts off and put on a great show. It's difficult to understand the exact plot when there's so much singing, but the synopsis in the program helped. It was really funny and I had a great time.

I also added about seven or eight podcasts to my free subscription list in itunes. Most of what I listen to is from public radio. I learn something, and I just feel smarter for listening to their programs.

And speaking of radio, I made a bit of a startling discovery, music-wise, while I was in the car delivering pizzas. And that's what passes for 'oldies' music these days. I used to be able to turn on the oldies channel and get a Motown or British Invasion fix when I needed it. Now I can hear Boston and the Eagles on 'the true oldies channel.' It reminds me of my middle age, when stuff I grew up with is at least 25-year old music. Not a bad discovery, just a bit of a startling one.

And I'm about to head into Birmingham for UAB baseball, where I said I'd help with PA. I did a doubleheader last Saturday, and today, it's a single game. More of a challenge doing baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment