Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Two Points

When I was a senior at Andress High School, I helped with statistics for the varsity basketball team. One night at Irvin I filled out the scorebook, entering our players' names into their book. Things went well enough after that, until one of our guys tried to enter the game but wasn't in the official book, because I accidentally wrote the same guy's name down twice. So we got a technical foul called on us for my mistake, and our coaches couldn't apologize to the referees quickly enough. Lost to the years is whether Irvin made the shots. I've always said they made one of the two, but who knows.

Sunday, I 'scored' two more points.

Since we've moved to Alabama, I've had the privilege of doing some of the PA work at the UAB women's basketball games. It's different for me, but it's fun, the people are nice and nobody throws anything at me. This afternoon, Houston came to visit. During play, the Cougars had a player spin into the lane and get fouled on a shot attempt. One official had the foul, but none of the three knew for sure whether the ball went in the hoop. I was watching the play from my seat at the scorer's table, and it very clearly went in.



So the game officials met to discuss the issue and apparently couldn't say with certainty, so they came to us for a consult. The gal to my immediate right keeping the official book didn't see it, but I did, and I said so. Then the next thing I see is the official signaling 'basket good,' and for UH to shoot a free throw. It was the correct call, and nobody raised a fuss, but I was taken aback at the influence I just had on the game. Later, during a brief stoppage of play, a member of the officiating crew stopped by and thanked us for our help.

What made it more important is that Houston won by one point, 63-62.

A similar thing happened earlier this season, when they didn't remember how many free throws were supposed to be awarded. I had it right and announced it correctly, but they had something different in mind. They made the correction and the game went on as before. We got a brief 'thank you' later toward the end of the game.

I try very hard to not be critical of referees or umpires during games. I think their work is very difficult. They're there voluntarily and they're paid, I understand that, but it's hard work in a very fast-paced and unforgiving atmosphere, and I'm more inclined to cut them slack. Being at the scorer's table, even on the home floor, means I'm a neutral observer, there to help the officials. It's a cordial relationship, maybe even a friendly one, and it allows me to see them as people and not as targets to spew venom at. A lot of times, they walk by us for fist bumps at the start of the game.

So I cut 'em a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment