Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

The end of one year and the start of the next is a great time for reflection. I think about what a difference a year makes-- where I was last year at this time, where I am now, and about where I'll be in a year. At the start of 2009, I was still working at the radio station in Clay Center, doing the same thing I'd been doing for seven years. Alabama wasn't even on the radar, though I knew what situation I was in, and that relocation was a solid possibility at worst.

But Ann interviewed in February, accepted the job not long after, we got married in June (after I quit my job) and moved to the Deep South in late July. It's funny what a difference a year can make. And the start of 2010 looks so much different than the start of 2009. It's why I'm 'outside the box.' There is nothing about my life that's the same as compared to the start of 09.

As for last night, I stayed up too late and drank too much chocolate milk with Ann, and I had a great time! We just camped out at the house and ate great food and watched TV. So many times before, we'd been traveling to and fro during the holidays, and it was nice to spend time at home without any obligations, or having to hustle somewhere. Now it's New Year's night, and we're parked on the couch again. Watched a lot of football. Some of it good, some of it, not so much. And ate hoppin john. Ann is absolutely a tremendous cook, and it's one reason (of about 9,428) why I'm so fortunate to be her husband.

Wednesday was the 30th, which was my parents' 48th wedding anniversary. There are a lot of things I don't understand about the relationship my mother and father have, but I do know they're still together after all these years and after all the things we've endured.

Went for my second run Thursday, on my way back from that calf thing. Three pain-free miles. Three more scheduled for Saturday.

I've also spent time today crafting the mission statement at the top of this page. I hope to adopt this as a pattern of life. Too often I've let things happen to me and let myself become a spectator in my own life. I intend to change that.

My resolution for 2010: to speak, write and think positively at all times.

2 comments:

  1. Joe - I had forgotten what date your parents were married - but I do remember being there. I was all of eleven years old. My clearest memory of that day is of your grandmother (my aunt). A very special lady if ever there was one.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim-- thank you for the kind words.

    I remember coming up from Texas in the summers to their house out on state highway 61 (I have very vague memories of their house across from Grandpa's office). I'd go onto the porch with a flyswatter, and Grandma would pay me a penny for every fly. It's central Ohio in August, so business was good. Good times, and good stories!

    ReplyDelete