Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Manhappiness

My wife Ann and I are back in Manhattan, KS as she spent Tuesday defending her dissertation. They have some changes and revisions and additions and what not, but she's answering to Dr. Woodyard now, and I don't have words to express how proud I am of her. For putting in the effort on getting her phd, and for holding her tongue when necessary.

I've had some time on my hands, and I've spent it drinking coffee (Caribou and Starbucks-- both are excellent) and reading my book about Harry Truman. I'm on page 675 or so, and am about 2/3 of the way through. But it's a great read, and I am becoming more and more of a fan of HST, who seems to be truly a great American.

We love and miss Manhattan-- we courted, had lots of fun and married here, and a lot of our friends are in the neighborhood. It just doesn't feel like home anymore. Not their fault-- it's ours, for moving away. We both try to look forward and not backward, and our lives are in Tuscaloosa now. But it's been great seeing the sights and catching up with old friends.

So we'll leave town tomorrow and head back to Kansas City. Then first thing Friday morning, I fly to Austin for my friend Sean's wedding. He's been through a lot the last seven years or so, but he's a survivor, and I'm so proud of him for being a man and doing the right thing when it would be easy not to. He's met a wonderful gal, and they'll be married the 19th. They seem like a terrific match, and I'm honored that he's asked me to stand with him and share in their joy.

Thinking more about going back to school, though a conversation I had Saturday suggests I look at the gifts I have. And a career change seems like a greater possibility. I like sports, but radio, not so much. Doesn't pay well, and I have Ann to think about now. It's been hard the last few days, having this on my mind-- knowing that what I was trained and went to school for and spent my entire life wanting could be coming to an end. It's been my identity, and it feels like it's being taken away. Having all these options is good in a way, but bad in a way, also, since I don't really have any direction right now.

And K-State is ranked 17th this week. I think this could be a special year for Cats basketball. And my Miners lost to the Aggies at home, after blowing them out of the Pan Am Center last week. UTEP is at Ole Miss tonight. I loves me some UTEP basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment