Mission Statement:

I will give excellence.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weekend review

I know it's still Sunday, but the last three days have been pretty full for me, so we'll catch up a little.

Thursday and Friday, I hung out in the press box at Bryant-Denny stadium, watching the Alabama Super Six Championships. All six classes played their state title games. Three games Thursday and three Friday. I sat in the public address booth, helping the PA guy with spotting duties. Ball carrier, tackler, receiver, etc. Pretty much what I did at the UAB football games, so it was pretty easy. Watching three games back-to-back-to back can also be exhausting. Sounds funny, I know, but it gets a little cumbersome after a while. It reminded me of the times when I'd broadcast four or five HS basketball games in a day. It's ball and it's fun, but you're ready for it to end after a while.

It was also a chance to network. I wrote a :60 ad that played on the jumbotron at the stadium, and this was my 'payment.' Well worth it, I think... I met a lot of really nice people and passed out a lot of business cards. Hopefully it'll lead to something. Definitely a chance to enjoy a side of football I don't get to see very often. Great times.

Saturday, it was UAB women's basketball, where I do some PA work. They beat Mississippi Valley State by 20+, but didn't really open things up until they got some three pointers to drop. I find that I kind of enjoy being Mr. Big Voice Guy. More than I imagined. Emceeing the halftime contests is something I'm learning about.

Driving back from Birmingham, I listened to the Alabama-Florida game on the radio, and watched the second half at a watch party with Ann and some friends. Good people, and more good times. Especially cuz the Tide won, and won big. So Bama plays Texas for a national title. So I get to root for Alabama and against Texas all at the same time. Handy, one-stop shopping.

And there's much to think about. What to do with myself, and how to grow and get better as a person. Learning new things, despite every inclination to stay where I am. I know I need to improve, and I'm finally ready mentally and emotionally to get after it.

And there's a road trip in our future. Details to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment